Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Unwitting Wishes, Maybe?

Tal* smiled and said, "You know, whenever you talk about our future kid, you always say him."

"Oh.  Really?"  It took me by surprise, and I chuckled.

We were talking about our work schedules and the possibility of a new position opening up in my department.  I work second shift and that is not so kid friendly.  While the new position may get me home slightly earlier, I would lose some of that time with a longer commute.  More importantly, the hours are not guaranteed as they may be adjusted based on need and I could end up with the same schedule.  Better to stick with the known for now.

But, it is still kind of funny to me that in our conversations about a possible future child that my default is boy.  In my mind's eye it flips back and forth between a girl or a boy. Although, what comes tumbling out when I speak is boy.  Hmm...

*I'm switching to referring to my hubby as Tal because typing the tilde following T is a bit annoying and old.

5 comments:

  1. That is interesting! How lovely to explore possibilities of shifts in shift for a future baby. I usually use "he" more than "she" when talking about FutureBaby, not sure if that's some kind of bias or just my default. I always thought I would have boys when I thought I'd be pregnant, but now it's all such a mystery it's hard to guess. It would be interesting to see if you say "she" and it just seems wrong, or if they both fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once upon a time when I was in a place of dreaming and planning for a child that I used "they." I think I was more careful about trying to be neutral and not get too carried away with hoping one way or another for a boy or a girl. Honestly, if someone were to tell me to pick, I would have a really difficult time. I was also in place where I wanted multiple kids, so better chances of having both boys and girls. Now, I feel that if we have a child, it will likely be one. I don't know if I'm just using the default of male pronouns because "it" would be odd.

      Delete
  2. I had always been under the assumptuon that I would have girls. It's what I knew, having 6 girls in my family. I had only ever imagined girl names, looked at girl clothing and nursery ideas. I would've welcomed any child, but for some reason, girls were always on the brain. But God said, nope. You get a boy. I remember being stunned and overwhelmed because I had never allowed myself to imagine a son. But God knew what was right for me and I wouldn't trade him even if I could. I just realized that I needed to trust that someone else knew better than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so many sisters, I could see how you would be thinking girl growing up in a family of all sisters. And you are right that God brought you a very special little boy! It all works out the way it should. I'd be happy either way with a boy or a girl. It was an interesting observation.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete