Monday, October 21, 2013

Gravity

Over the weekend I saw the movie Gravity.  It was the first time I saw a 3D movie.  I was a little nervous because sometimes I've experienced some motion sickness watching a couple of IMAX films.  However, I think I picked a good one to see in 3D because they didn't seem to over do the effects and the movie was well suited for it.  Plus, the length of the movie was appropriate in that it wasn't too long and told its story in 90 minutes.  It was a  good experience and a pretty good movie.  (I actually removed a few "goods" from this paragraph.  Good sums it up well.)

SPOILER ALERT:  While the movie was about troubles in space and trying to return to Earth, it was also about grief, learning to let go and getting back to the business of living life.  Sandra Bullock's character has lost a daughter who died in a freak playground accident.  Since then, she has been emotionally stuck and just passing the days immersed in her work as a way to escape and withdraw from the world and others.

At one point she expresses a want for the silence in space.  But, when that silence comes after being cut off from mission control and being left on her own, it does not seem to acquiesce the pain of loss.  She must make a choice to live and really live or die.  There is no longer an in between.  It is when she nears an emotional rock bottom that she chooses life and moves into the space of letting go without forgetting and leans into the strength of hope--hope of a new future, a new life.

The story in the movie spoke to me, reminding me that there is life after loss.  And I need to give myself credit for being so bold to take up that strength to propel my life forward.  I did not just give up and get stuck.  I've moved on with my life and there is still joy and happiness to be had.  Yes, I have a new career, but there is more.  I'm making new friends, and slowly building a support system in Florida--to add to my one in Ohio and Pennsylvania and in the IF community.  I have a loving, thoughtful, and giving boyfriend whom I find myself falling in love with over and over.  And I am blessed with a family who loves me unconditionally.

I need to remember my own strength and dig deep and use it.  I have to trust in myself and not hold back.

2 comments:

  1. This is really lovely. I'm so glad you can congratulate yourself for moving on with life. It doesn't mean we ever forget.

    And thanks for the shout-out at Mel's Round-Up last week. I've only just found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome for the shout out. :) Your words moved me and felt others may benefit, as well.

    ReplyDelete